Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Why the name Gutfeeling?

The reason I call this book Gutfeeling is because I have trouble with the word spirituality. Whenever I hear the word ‘spirit’, it makes me want to pack up and go. I would have left at an earlier stage of my life. The minute anyone started to talk about ‘spirituality’, or ‘spiritual values’, I would simply turn away saying, ‘That’s not for me’.

That reaction seems strange to me now, but it’s understandable. The minute one talks spirituality most think they’re talking ‘religion’. There are so many conflicting religions and religious beliefs floating around. The idea of becoming involved with their bureaucracies seems like a giant waste of time.

However, you can be spiritual and not religious. The point I’d like to make is this: Spirituality does not come from religion. Religion comes from spirituality. A major definition of religion says it is ‘an institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices’. The emphasis is on the ‘institutionalizing process’. You can be ‘religious’ and be ‘spiritual’ at the same time.

In fact, I believe it was religious practice that presented the aspect of spirituality in a way that made me turn away from it. Institutionalized spirituality tends to create a whole hierarchy of ‘beings’ in order to explain its beliefs. Spirituality, on aspect of that, was presented as: ‘What happens when you die? Where does your spirit go?’ Frankly, I believe when you die, you die. The show is over. End of story. However, assuming there might be a reincarnation – I will come back, no argument!

Buy Gutfeeling today.

No comments: